Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Chore Olympics



 I have written a couple of posts on getting organized, but overall, I'm not a very organized person.   When I had this inspiration a during the Olympics, I immediately thought of Jenn and her awesome timer.

 It's the Olympics
(well, it was when I originally wrote it) 



 
(and did you know Salt Lake City has the highest ratings of any major city in the U.S.?  I don't know if that means per capita or total number of watchers)!
I love watching the Olympics.  It's the one time I actually encourage my kids to sit and watch TV.  I love that we watch it together as a family.  It's fun.  It's inspirational.  It helps you organize!

Huh?  How can the Olympics help you organize?  It's kind of a take on Jenn's timer technique for cleaning and organizing, but it seemed to work especially well for my kids. 

When the action paused for a commercial or commentary from Bob Costas, I'd say "quick! Megan, load the dishwasher!
 

Wade, wipe off the counter!  Get back before the commercial ends!" 
  
I did have to remind Wade once that he had already seen the phone torch lighting commercial, but overall I think it made the cleaning fun and quick (not too much commitment), gave them some adrenaline and got them off the couch.  We watch the Olympics like we watch exercise videos: in complete awe.  Stunned.  Literally. 

You could even be creative about what you call your "chores."  Make them into Olympic events.
Dishes could be swimming 
or diving or even rowing.  Or just pretend that matching socks is an Olympic event and see who gets the gold, silver and bronze metals. 

Now that the Olympics are over, I'm not sure what we'll do.  Episodes of Phineas and Ferb on Netflix 
seem to run together kind of like the weeks and the months of Summer(no commercials/no chore Olympics).  We might just have to start using the timer again.

No comments: