Thursday, November 11, 2010

No Pictures

I chose not to include any pictures in this post because even some of the mental images are pretty intense.

So... you've been warned.

Some parts about breastfeeding
are less pleasant that others,
say, oh infections, engorgement...
teeth.

Some parts are just downright amazing
and cool.
My body makes milk?
really?
wow.
I can sleep while she eats?
cool!

And then...
some parts are just funny.
When my babes are new
and their
heads
are smaller than my
breast
(no, my babies don't have small heads),
i have to use a finger
to move my flesh out of the way so
their nose can find enough air to
breathe ~ but now,

Baby Lyndee is doing this thing
that i don't remember
any of my other babies doing.

(i can't decide whether it's unpleasant, amazing or just plain funny)

She latches on
and then,
firmly planting
a hand on either side of my breast,
she not so gently,
does a little
baby marine
push-up, all the while
sucking away
like a little camper.

3 comments:

bonnie jack said...

you sleep while breastfeeding? i have yet to figure out how to do that whole lying-down-while-breastfeeding thing. i guess i sleep while sitting up sometimes, but that doesn't seem to count as real sleep.

Quiltgirl said...

I admit i'm not as good at it as i used to be. I don't think i was ever awake while i fed William. Roll over, latch on, go back to sleep. I don't know what to say about that. can't remember how i did it.

Cindy at LottieBird said...

don't know about the baby marine you've got there...but I definitely slept while breastfeeding. I think it was sheer laziness (and exhaustion). Had to lie down. Had to close my eyes.
Trickier with twins...they didn't really fit in the bed with us--at least the double beds in our furnished apartments/hotels that we lived in until they were 6 months old! Wow, we were gypsies for a while.